Bike Repair Guide: Headset and Bottom Bracket
Here are tutorials to keep your headset and bottom bracket working flawlessly.
Headset Repairs and Maintenance:
- How to Install a Threaded Headset
- How to Install a Threadless Headset
- How to Adjust a Threaded Headset
- How to Adjust a Threadless Headset
- How to Remove a Threaded Headset
- How to Remove a Threadless Headset
Bottom Bracket Repairs and Maintenance:
- How to Remove a Cartridge Bearing Bottom Bracket
- How to Install a Cartridge Bearing Bottom Bracket
- When To Replace Your Bottom Bracket
How to make your own cup press - Instructions for making your own headset cup press can be found in the home mechanic section. Normal cup presses cost between $50 and $100, but you can make your own for under $5.
The Headset Guide - Your guide to conventional, internal, and integrated headsets.
Bottom bracket tip: If you have a steel frame thats been sitting around awhile that you want to build, the BB shell might have some rust in it that have deformed the threads a bit. Chase the threads with old BB cups. Go slow and use some light lubricant. all ready for a new BB.